Like a “Slap in the Face”

Will Smith’s “moment,” with Chris Rock, during the Oscars, is all the talk today.

I don’t think I’ve ever watched the Oscar’s, just not interested . . .

But I couldn’t help hearing about last night’s show and the “highlight” of the event.

A dude slaps another dude across the face, on live national TV, yeah, that’s kind of interesting.

But that is not the “slap” that should have your attention.

Here is the big deal: The yield curve just inverted.  That ought to get your attention like a slap to the face.

Why?

An “inverted yield curve” in the bond market is a distortion that has often occurred before U.S. recessions. 

Put that in the mix with 40-year high inflation, record high gas prices, war in Ukraine, a correction in all the major indexes, and declining consumer confidence and you might just be “feeling the sting,” pretty soon.  Ouch!

What is an “Inverted yield curve?”  Simply put means short-term bond yields exceed those of longer-term bonds. It means investors are worried about the economy’s long-term prospects.

The two-year versus 10-year yield on a U.S. Treasury bond is generally the most watched by economists. That curve hasn’t yet inverted, but another part of the market did today, Monday, March 28th, 2022.

The five-year and 30-year U.S. Treasury yields inverted, the first time since 2006, before the Great Recession.

Maybe this was a “baby slap,” not the big one yet, which would be the two-year versus 10-year inversion.  But it is a warning sign that should get our attention.

How is the market reacting?  Check out this video with the latest technical analysis of the S&P 500:

https://youtu.be/UNGiptPGsuU

Like this?  Or not?  Be sure to leave a comment.

• Thanks 1